The John F. Kennedy Library Foundation provides funds to scholars and students interested in researching the Ernest Hemingway Collection. The grants (up to $2,500) are intended to help defray travel, living, and other research expenses.
Grant applications are evaluated on the basis of expected utilization of the Collection, the proposed project's contributions to Hemingway and/or related studies, and the applicant's qualifications.
Preference is given to dissertation research and projects not supported by major grants from other institutions, although all proposals are welcome and receive careful consideration.
Applications must be time-stamped or postmarked by November 1. Applicants will be notified regarding award decisions via U.S. Mail in mid-December.
Applications sent after the deadline will not be considered but may be resubmitted for the following grant cycle.
To learn more about the Hemingway Collection's holdings, please consult our online finding aid or contact Dr. Hilary Justice, Hemingway Program Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617.514.1530.
To apply, please submit:
- an application form;
- a brief proposal (three-four pages) in the form of a letter or memo describing the planned research, its significance, the intended audience, and expected outcome;
- a list of the collection(s) that you plan to use at the JFK Library and at other institutions;
- two letters of recommendation from academic or other appropriate references;
- an eight to ten page writing sample;
- a project budget, including a description of how funds will be applied, a list of other fellowships or grants that will support the project, and a statement on whether matching funds are available to you through your home institution or elsewhere;
- a description of your qualifications and other similar research projects that you have undertaken (including their outcomes);
- and a curriculum vitae.
Please submit your completed application form and supporting materials to Stephen Plotkin, Grant Coordinator, at email@example.com or at the address below:
Ernest Hemingway Collection
John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum
Boston, MA 02125
© The John F. Kennedy Library Foundation