The finding aid provides a detailed list of the collection’s contents. Most materials are cataloged at the item level.
View the Finding Aid
This guide, which debuted in March 2015, is intended to help researchers locate and cite items more efficiently and discover materials that may have previously been overlooked. Due to the large size of the file (10MB), it may take a moment to load.
Please see tips on using the new finding aid for instructions on how to navigate and search the document. For additional questions about the finding aid, please contact a reference archivist.
Abbreviations Used in the Hemingway Finding Aid (.pdf)
Outgoing Correspondence Name Index (.pdf)
Use this list to locate letters written by Hemingway to a particular person or organization.
Incoming Correspondence Cross References (.pdf)
Use this list to locate letters to Hemingway from a person or organization that may be indexed under a different name.
The collection is divided into the following series.
Series 1: Manuscripts
Series 2: Outgoing Correspondence
Series 3: Incoming Correspondence
Series 4: Other Materials
Series 5: Newspaper Clippings
Series 6: Scrapbooks
Series 7: Periodicals
Series 8: Books
Series 9: Objects
- All series in the collection are now listed together. Previously, each series was described in a separate webpage, preventing researchers from searching the entire guide at once. The current version allows for a single keyword search of the entire collection, and may highlight relevant materials in unexpected parts of the collection.
- The formatting of the guide introduces a streamlined view of the collection by listing the folders in each box, but retains detailed document descriptions that can be viewed when a folder description is expanded. Researchers can expand descriptions by clicking on the plus mark (+) next to each folder title.
- Box numbers and folder titles are now included in the guide, making it easier for researchers to request boxes, locate documents, and cite materials accurately.
- Series 5: Newspaper Clippings has been condensed to include only loose clippings found in the collection. Clippings that were previously cross-referenced here are now described in Series 3. Incoming Correspondence (if the clipping accompanies a letter) or in Series 6. Scrapbooks (if the clipping is pasted into a scrapbook).
- Several series have been separated from Other Materials: Series 6: Scrapbooks; Series 7. Periodicals; Series 8. Books; and Series 9: Objects. This is intended to provide better access to these discrete groups of material.